- Dr Arif Alvi nominated by PTI for president’s post
- Former UN chief Kofi Annan passes away at 80. UN chief Antonio Guterres offers condolences, calls Annan a “guiding force for good”.
- Zardari secures protective bail in fake accounts case. Islamabad High Court orders Zardari to submit Rs500,000 in surety bonds.
- FO rejects accusation Pakistan provided medical support to militants involved in Ghazni attack.
- Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf (PTI) chairman Imran Khan on 18th August, 2018 took oath as the 22nd Prime Minister of Pakistan.
- The oath-taking ceremony was administered by Pakistan President Mamnoon Hussain.
- In the July 25, 2018 general elections, the PTI had emerged as the single largest party with 116 seats.
Murad Ali Shah takes oath as 33rd chief minister of Sindh
Shah was administered the oath by acting Governor Agha Siraj Durrani in a ceremony held at the Governor House.
Balochistan Assembly: Jam Kamal voted in as 16th chief minister
Jam Mir Kamal Khan Alyani secures 39 votes, beating Mir Younus Aziz Zehri who polled 20.
- President Ibrahim Boubacar Keita has been re-elected as President of Mali after beating opposition candidate.
- Keita will serve his second five-year term as Malian leader.
- Keita will take office on September 4, 2018.
- Mali is a landlocked nation home to at least 20 ethnic groups where the majority of people live on less than $2 a day.
- The United States imposed sanctions on four Myanmar military and police commanders and two army units.
- The sanctions were imposed for their involvement in human rights abuses against the country’s Rohingya Muslims.
- The sanctions marked the toughest US action so far in response to Myanmar’s crackdown on the Rohingya minority which started in 2017.